Released back in 2013 as the first part of the XCOM franchise, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, immediately gained two GOTY (Game of the Year) awards. Following the success of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Firaxis Games decided to release an expansion called XCOM: Enemy Within to improve the experience for the players. However, despite the positive reviews, both the base game and the expansion still contain errors here and there. Read to the end if you notice XCOM: Enemy Within not launching and don’t know what is going on.
XCOM: Enemy Within Won’t Launch
Usually, when players open XCOM: Enemy Within, it takes mere moments for the game to launch. That being said, on occasions, the game may launch for several seconds then players would return to the selection screen. Players from novices to veterans have reported about XCOM: Enemy Within not launching in variable settings so it’s tough to pinpoint the root cause. On the bright side, it’s possible to get the game to launch again by implementing a number of measures.
What Must Be Done
Verify Integrity Of Game Files
For your information, by verifying the integrity of game files, you could address quite a few errors. To initiate the verification, you must go through the following steps:
- Step 1: Open Steam and go to Library.
- Step 2: Locate XCOM: Enemy Unknown, right-click it and choose Properties.
- Step 3: Head to the Local Files tab, pick Verify integrity of game files and wait.
- Step 4: After the process finishes, exit Steam and restart your computer.
- Step 5: Launch the game again.
Run The Game In Compatibility Mode
Microsoft Windows updates might have messed up the XCOM: Enemy Within. Thus, you should consider running the game in compatibility mode
- Step 1: Go to the path – steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32
- Step 2: Locate XCOMEW.exe, right-click it and choose Properties.
- Step 3: Go to the Compatibility tab, check the checkbox next to Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose Windows 8 underneath.
- Step 4: Select Apply, choose OK and close everything.
- Step 5: Launch the game.
Uninstall And Reinstall The Game
- Step 1: Loathe XCOM: Enemy Unknown in Steam library, right-click it and pick Manage.
- Step 2: Proceed to hit Uninstall and wait for the process to complete.
- Step 3: Head to the path – steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown.
- Step 4: Press Ctrl + A then hit Delete to remove all files and folders there.
- Step 5: Restart the computer and reinstall the game when the screen comes back on.
Is XCOM: Enemy Within Worth The Price?
Since XCOM: Enemy Within is not available for free, most players wonder if they should spend money to buy it or not. Even though it is just a DLC of Enemy Unknown, Enemy Within certainly deserves every penny with its features.
Firstly, the players will be introduced to a new kind of resource called “Meld” which is really hard to collect. In fact, Meld can only be obtained through securing the delay-activated self-destruct canisters or killing the Mechtoids. This material will then be used to unlock the newly introduced XCOM transhuman technologies. Also, Melds combined with alien autopsies enable players to give the soldiers superhuman abilities.
Enemies: Seeker And Mechtoid
The second important update of XCOM: Enemy Within is the appearance of two new enemies, the Seeker and the Mechtoid. As an airborne machine that resembles a squid, the Seeker could cloak and use plasma blast as the primary weapon. On the other hand, the Mechtoid is an upgraded version of the Sectoid as it carries two plasma mini cannons as well as being protected by heavy armor. While the Seeker always tries to sneak up on enemies, the Mechtoid fights like a tank.
Regarding the enemies, players will have to face a new hostile faction, the EXALT. In order to defeat this enemy, players will have to run Intel Scans along with assigning Covert Missions to soldiers. Once the player wins the Covert Missions, hints about EXALT’s base will be given and the players can mount an assault, hence ultimately destroying them. Operation Progeny which was intended to be released as a standalone DLC related to EXALT was included in XCOM: Enemy Within.
Missions And Maps
Additionally, XCOM: Enemy Within brings back the Base Defense missions with a brand new mechanism. Players will neither be forewarned nor have the time to select or arm a squad. Of course, mission failures equal the base being destroyed, thus causing instant defeat.
All in all, this DLC gives the players 47 new maps for the single-player mode as well as 13 new multiplayer maps. Furthermore, there are some other newly added yet small additions like characters’ localized voice lines or more detailed Site Recon reports.
Tips And Tricks
- In every XCOM game, you could improve your odds of survival by obeying one golden rule: move into covers and use overwatch.
- If possible, stick to the edge and clear enemies in the perimeters.
- Manufacture Carapace Armor before laser or plasma guns.
- Have a hard time getting resources? Drop by Grey Market and exchange unnecessary items for cash.
- It’s possible to gain information about the enemies via audio cues like the number of steps, the surfaces that the enemies are on, … Therefore, it’s a good idea to turn off the music and put your headphones on.
- If you are thinking about what to research first, then our answer is the Xeno-Biology. Following that, Arc Throwers should be developed.
- If you are new to the game, then North America is a viable option to place the base because you will save a considerable amount of travelling costs.
- Without the satellites, you will never get enough income to progress. So it is advisable that a satellite network with wide coverage is built. Besides income, it can help you spot UFOs, control the panic level more effectively as well as be aware of any updates related to the Council.
- After one of your soldiers reach Sergeant, Squad Size I upgrade cannot be ignored in any cases.