If you like the sea and always want to sail on a ship like Pirates of the Caribbean, you would come to like Windward. Designed as an action-packed multiplayer sandbox game, Windward currently holds a positive rating on Steam with 80% of all the ratings being positive. Nevertheless, the game still leaves something to be desired and connection is one of them. Check out this article and learn what must be done once it comes to Windward “unable to connect”.
Windward Not Connecting
In multiplayer games, a lot of things could prevent players from connecting to a server. Regarding Windward, the number one cause of connection difficulty is the fact that the game relies on the standard TCP connection on only one port. That was also confirmed by the developer of Windward, ArenMook, so players have no choice but to connect to the right port to join the servers.
Windward Unable To Connect: Troubleshooting
Forward To The Right Port
According to the developer of Windward, if you host directly from the game, it is essential for port 5127 to be accessible. Therefore, you need to forward both TCP/UDP on 5127 and the result is as follows:
- Internal IP = The IP address of the PC being used to run the server
- External IP = leave this field blank so that all IP ranges can be forwarded
- Internal Port = leave this field blank too
- External port = 5127
After you finish, you will need your friends to connect by entering the router’s external IP address.
*Note: remember to disable Windows Firewall since it might lead to unexpected problems.
Use A Public Server
Feel free to use the public server if you do not know how to host a server.
- Step 1: Connect to a public server with your friends.
- Step 2: Press the lock button in the top left corner to start a private instance.
- Step 3: Invite your friends to play with them in private.
Take Advantage Of IPv4 Address
About Windward “unable to connect”, your IPv4 address could come in handy. To make use of your IPv4 address, go through the steps down below:
- Step 1: Type CMD into the Search Bar and then hit Enter to open Command Prompt
- Step 2: Run the command ipconfig in Command Prompt
- Step 3: Look for the IPv4 address and send it to your friends
- Step 4: Open Windward and go to single-player mode
- Step 5: Have your friends open Windward’s Direct Connect
- Step 6: Tell your friends to type in their players’ names along with your IPv4 address
- Step 7: Hit the Connect button
*Note: It will also work if your friend is the host and gives you his/her IPv4 address.
What are the factions in Windward?
There are four factions in Windward to choose from and it depends on the players’ preferences.
- The first one is Valiant (red) which specializes in combat as its ships are more useful in battle than in trading. Valiant Players can also gain bonus experience from sinking enemies’ ships.
- The second faction is Consulate (green) and it is a balanced faction with a little bit of favour towards Diplomacy, thus making it a suitable choice for players who have not decided their playstyles yet.
- The next faction is Sojourn (blue) with advantages in exploring since its ships are faster as well as more accurate.
- If you want to be a merchant then the final faction, Exchange (yellow), is the perfect fit because of its bonuses whenever completing a trade and additional golds at the start of the game.
Besides the basic factions, there are two more factions with superior power yet require much more things to join, Syndicate and Aequitas.
Who is the developer of Windward?
The people behind Windward are from Tasharen Entertainment Inc.
How can I get more ships in Windward?
Getting more ships in Windward means that you will have to destroy ships of the same kind. Once you have eliminated ships multiple times, a blueprint should be granted, thus enabling you to purchase new ship types.
On which platforms is Windward available?
The game is only available on Microsoft Windows, Linux and Macintosh.
What are the system requirements for Windward?
Here are the recommended system requirements of Windward based on Steam:
- OS: 7
- Processor: 2.0Ghz quad-core Intel Core i7
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: Any NVidia or ATI card that cost at least $200 in 2010
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Storage: 250 MB available space
Tips And Tricks
- Keep in mind that there are nine different climates in Windward and they have specific supplies and demands.
- The Vault used to keep your items can be easily accessed in every town.
- The reputation in Windward is the main factor of two things: available quests and rumours in towns. Therefore, it is wise to pay attention to your reputation level
- If your reputation is Admiral which is also the highest level then you will get an eponymous achievement along with a unique looking pennant replacement.
- Quests are extremely important when you are new to the game since they provide golds for trading. However, players with high diplomacy levels can also use quests in order to generate a supplemental form of income.
- Windward’s quests have random objectives that grant you items when completed. The maximum number of objectives is three and finishing one before returning the quest will guarantee a new item in your inventory. Nevertheless, it is totally fine to ignore these objectives if you are not into them.
- Equipment can only be upgraded at a fully grown town with level 10. The game does not allow enhancing the equipment’s level higher than that of the region you use to upgrade though.
- The user interface can be hidden by pressing the button combination, Alt + Z.
- If you want to opt out during a PvP game then equipping the white flag should help.